Job Title: Faith Formation Coordinator
Parish: St. Mary’s | Altoona, WI
Department: Evangelization and Faith Formation
Reports To: Director of Evangelization and Faith Formation
Hours: Part Time; variable depending on time of year, with an average of 10 per week
To coordinate, organize, and execute the administrative details of all parish faith formation programs, especially those that see their “student” as the whole family.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Family Formation. Empower parents as primary catechists of their domestic church by planning our parish’s Family Formation program (K-8); recruit (ongoing) and train “substitute” catechists, organize monthly family meals with the hospitality team, assemble take-home activity packets, recruit and train childcare volunteers, be on-site to facilitate monthly programming, and accompany families
- First Reconciliation and Eucharist. Oversee a meaningful preparation process for families with preparing a child for first sacraments (both from the parish and the elementary school) by forming and supporting catechists, organizing retreats, planning First Reconciliation services and First Communion Masses, and accurately recording all sacraments.
- Baptism Preparation. Help families find a home in our parish by overseeing the baptismal prep process; recruit (ongoing) and train a team of mentors, conduct meet-and-greets with each family preparing for baptism, manage all sacramental recordkeeping, and communicate with other members of the parish team to coordinate details of each baptism
- Confirmation Preparation. Work closely with the Faith Formation Coordinator at St. Raymond’s to manage a joint Confirmation prep process for freshman and sophomores, planning catechetical sessions and retreats, ensuring accurate sacramental recordkeeping, and planning seamless Confirmation liturgies.
- Administrative Duties. Design and manage registration forms and attendance records (ParishSoft), collect registration fees, communicate regularly with families (Flocknote), record all sacraments in the parish register, ensure all volunteers are in compliance with Diocesan Safe Environment policies
- Other Duties. Lock and unlock the building for programming, occasionally attend parish Masses to promote programs and assist families with registration when needed
- Baptism Prep Mentors
- Volunteer Catechists for Family Formation (K-8)
- Catechist for First Sacraments
- (Jointly) Confirmation Catechists and Small Group Leaders
Other Regular Meetings / Collaboration:
- Standing meeting with Director of Evangelization and Faith Formation (Direct Report)
- Standing staff meetings / check-ins with Evangelization & Faith Formation Team
- Occasional meetings with Hispanic Ministry Team
- Occasional meetings with First Sacraments or Confirmation planning team
- Communicate regularly with others critical to Faith Formation programming (the Pastor or Parochial Vicar, Bilingual Office Assistant, Director of Music & Liturgy, etc.)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Visible and living witness to Catholic discipleship, including fidelity to Church teaching and morals, respect for pastoral authority, and a commitment to Catholic unity.
- Commitment to personal healing, mutual respect, and vulnerable trust of team members.
- Commitment to “we” over “me” when working with and building ministry teams
- Empathy for the unique challenges of the modern family, especially parents
- A knack for dotting every “i” and crossing every “t”; no detail left behind
- Familiarity with (or willingness to learn) the basics of fruitful sacramental preparation
- Fluency in both Spanish and English preferred (must be fluent in English)
- Expertise in database entry, recordkeeping, and spreadsheet management
- Superior communication skills, written and verbal
- A coachable attitude and eagerness to learn and master new skills
- High level of integrity, diplomacy, and confidentiality
- Experience as a catechist preferred
- Ability to lift 25+ pounds (Seriously, you’ll move tables, chairs, and boxes of home lessons!)
- Advanced Certification as a Catechist through the Diocese of La Crosse (or committed to attaining it within the first year of employment through Franciscan at Home Catechetical Institute)
- Willingness to conform to all guidelines and policies of the Diocese of La Crosse
Sound like a good fit for you and your gifts? If you think God might be calling you to minister alongside our parish team at St. Mary’s, send a resume and a cover letter expressing your interest and experience in ministering to families to [email protected]. Subject Line: Faith Formation Coordinator
St. Mary’s parish exists to welcome all God’s children and accompany them into an intimate relationship with Christ. We are generous, prayerful, welcoming, and committed to becoming intentional disciples of Jesus.