Primary Job Function
The Minister of Liturgy and Music is responsible for the planning of all liturgical music for Sunday celebrations, feast days and seasons of the liturgical year. This position also fosters the active participation of the liturgical assembly in singing: coordinates the preparation of music to be sung at various liturgical celebrations; and promotes the ministries of choirs, cantors and all who play instruments that serve the Liturgy.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Responsible for the liturgical celebrations on weekends, feasts and special occasions. Choose and play music, coordinate the music ministry and acts as the lead musician.
- Recruit, train, direct and supervise choirs, cantors and instrumentalists for liturgical celebrations
- Lead the parish choir and conduct weekly rehearsals
- Find substitute musicians when needed for weekend liturgies and special occasions.
- Maintain the parish music/liturgy library and parish missalettes
- Work closely with Pastoral staff with the preparation of parish liturgies
- Meet with engaged couples for the preparation of wedding liturgies
- Work closely with families on selecting music and finding musicians when planning a funeral mass
- Maintain current copyright licenses and adhere to all regulations regarding their usage
- Maintain and supervise upkeep of Parish pianos, church sound system as needed
- Provide musical input and copyright information for the preparation of worship participation aids i.e. First Communion booklet, Confirmation booklet, Triduum booklet etc
- Maintain department budget
- Other duties as assigned by the Pastor
Bachelor’s required, Masters preferred
Minimum Experience/Training Required
- Practicing Catholic in good standing and able to partake fully in the sacramental life of the Church
- Proficient in instrumental and choral direction
- Motivated and team oriented with strong communication skills
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- Theological and Catechetical training
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com