Seeking to affirm and support parish commitment and creativity in social ministry while defending human life and dignity.
Bishop Callahan Statement on President’s Immigration Policy
January 30, 2017
Dear Brothers and Sisters–
In a land so blessed as our beloved USA, where most of us trace our ancestry through strong immigrant ties to other countries and cultures, it is so significant for us to be aware of the long line of those seeking to share the American dream and live in this country.
The current immigration situation is difficult and made even more so in the light of distressed families and those seeking refuge from tyranny and bloodshed.
It behooves us as people of faith to assist those in need and protect those who are helpless and unjustly deprived of life and liberty in their native land. The United States has long provided leadership in resettling refugees. It is, however, also our responsibility as citizens of this country to protect ourselves from those who may harbor evil intentions in their plans to come here.
The President’s immigration plan is indeed painful for us who try to make God’s mercy our own; we must continue to engage the new administration and work vigorously to ensure that refugees are humanely welcomed and reunited with their loved ones. As people of faith we must remain vigilant and pray that equal justice can be achieved for all.
+William Patrick Callahan
Bishop of La Crosse
U.S. Bishops and Justice for Immigrants
At this time of fear and uncertainty in our immigrant communities, a recommended resource is the website Justice for Immigrants. Visit it for current information on executive actions and other updates, as well as action alerts relative to immigration and the rights of immigrants, including those who are undocumented
The U.S. Catholic bishops’ Justice for Immigrants Campaign (JFI) is a coalition of Catholic organizations working to unite and mobilize a growing network of Catholic institutions, individuals, and other persons of goodwill in support of immigration reform.
The JFI campaign’s primary objectives are:
- To educate the public, especially the Catholic community, about Church teaching on migration and immigrants;
- To create political will for just and humane immigration reform; and
- Advocate for just and fair reforms in U.S. immigration and refugee laws and policies that reflect the principles enunciated by the bishops.
The following stories highlight other Church leaders’ words and work around recent current events.
- President and Vice President of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Stand in Defense of All Faiths in Response to Executive Order on Refugees
- USCCB Committee on Migration Chair Strongly Opposes Executive Order Because It Harms Vulnerable Refugee and Immigrant Families
- USCCB Committee on Migration Chair Responds to Trump Administration Sanctuary City Executive Order
- Committee on Migration Chair Strongly Opposes Administration’s Announcement to Build a Wall at U.S.-Mexico Border, Increase Detention and Deportation Forces
- USCCB Spokeswoman Welcomes House Passage of 2017 No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act
- USCCB Pro Life Chairman Applauds Reestablishment of Mexico City Policy
- Bishops’ Conferences Call for Prayers, Action, Support for Peace in the Holy Land
- USCCB Chairman Calls on Congress to Preserve Gains in Healthcare Coverage While Also Emphasizing the Need to Protect Human Life, Conscience Rights and the Poor