The Propagation of the Faith – a Pontifical Mission Society
The Mission Office assists the faithful of the Diocese of La Crosse in carrying out Jesus’ directive to his apostles before his ascension into heaven … to go and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. The Faith must be kept and guarded in our souls, but it must also be generously passed on to every person in the world. The Church must be missionary if she is to be the faithful spouse of Christ.
Pontifical Mission Societies
The Pontifical Mission Societies consist of the Society for the Propagation of the Faith, the Holy Childhood Association, the Society of St. Peter Apostle and the Missionary Union of Priests and Religious. The Pontifical Mission Societies have, as their primary purpose, the promotion of a universal missionary spirit – a spirit of prayer and sacrifice – among all baptized Catholics.
Fr. Joseph Walijewski Legacy Guild
Is an association of people dedicated to furthering the cause of the Servant of God, Father Joseph Walijewski, and providing continued support for the legacy he left behind. Padre Jose’s spirituality is rooted in seeing Christ crucified in everyone he met; especially the orphans, the abandoned, the marginalized and the poor.
Those devoted to Father Joseph Walijewski are encouraged to join the Guild and regularly say the prayer for his canonization, which is available online and on a special prayer card. Members are asked to pray for Father Walijewski’s canonization, report favors received and assist in the advancement of the cause.
To learn more about the life and works of Father Joe Walijewski and the cause for his Beatification and Canonization, please visit Father Joe’s Guild.
What does the Mission Office do?
- Coordinates the Mission Cooperation Program for visiting missionaries
in Diocesan parishes.
- Distributes Mass stipends to retired and missionary priests.
- Supports priests, sisters and lay persons in the Diocesan parish in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, and the Casa Hogar Juan Pablo II Orphanage in Lurin, Peru.
- Coordinates La Crosse Diocesan student Lenten Mite Box collections.
- Promotes the annual fundraising benefit dinner for Casa Hogar Orphanage.
- Coordinates and promotes the annual Monsignor Anthony P. Wagener Mission Awards.
Appeals made through the National Office
- World Mission Sunday – for the propagation of the Gospel in mission territories.
- Christmas and Lenten Appeals – for those in most need in the developing world.
- St. Peter Apostle – education and formation of men and women who have been called to serve the Lord as a priest or member of a religious order in a developing country.
For more information go to: www.onefamilyinmission.org
Catholic Life Articles
- Our Seminarians’ Coronavirus Stories
Father Victor Feltes, Pastor of St. Paul Parish in Bloomer and St. John the Baptist Parish in Cooks Valley. God has blessed our parishes with priestly vocations. Of the 16 seminarians currently enrolled in major seminary for the Diocese of La Crosse, three belong to St. Paul or St. John the Baptist parishes. These young
- From the Heart
Jake & Emily focus on service before profit in business Jake and Emily Bowe of Onalaska understand the importance of serving others, following Christ’s message in the New Testament. His command is something they carry out every day in the two restaurants they own. Jake has worked in Culver’s Restaurants since he was 14. “It’s
- The Holy Spirit Our Greatest Hidden Friend
When we call somebody a friend, we usually have someone in mind we know rather well, and with whom we enjoy spending time. We know this person would walk with us through a difficulty or assist us with solving a problem. Actually, our “greatest friend” is God the Holy Spirit. How do we know this?
- The Co-responsibility of the Lay Faithful in the Church as Mission
Proclaiming and living the Gospel Did you know you have a personal invitation from God: to love, to be loved and to live in solidarity? We respond to this invitation by proclaiming and living the Gospel message (evangelization). Christifideles Laici states that the purpose of “evangelization is formation of mature ecclesial communities” and to give
- Obtaining the Divine Mercy Sunday (April 19) indulgence this year
Even though public Masses continue to be cancelled, Divine Mercy Sunday can still be celebrated in the home, and its plenary indulgence still received. The Second Sunday of Easter, or Divine Mercy Sunday, falls on April 19 in 2020. The day focusses the Church’s attention to the pardon won by Christ and the forgiveness of
“There will always be poor people in the land – Therefore, I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy …”
Rev. Woody Pace, Director
Marga Apel, Administrative Assistant