From Sister Carla Harrison (Daughters of Our Lady of the Pieta) in Peru:
We have many plans, projects, and needs at this time, but today we must listen to the heart which tells us what is most urgent. At this time of the pandemic, our greatest need is to help save the most fragile who suffer and are suffering because they are in need of oxygen (because of Covid-19).
Heartfelt thanks to you! Because of your generosity, we have been able to buy and supply oxygen for the elderly and vulnerable in our retirement home, who urgently need this support. In recent months we have suffered greatly because the oxygen cylinders were not available due to the great demand and need here in Peru. Those that were available were 3 to 4 times greater the cost, but when it comes down to saving a soul, there was no questioning. Despite the cost, we were able to
purchase 2 cylinders of oxygen, but when the patient is on 15 liters, not even a large cylinder lasts long, so trying to find places throughout Lima that would fill the tank meant large lines, long waits, and lots of expenses. We were also able to buy 2 oxygen concentradors, which help for not having to continuously fill the tanks and scramble to find where they are filling them…. unfortunately the consentrators only reach to 10 liters maximum (so still didn’t meet the needs to increase their oxygen saturation)
Thank you for your generosity!
I have had you close in prayer and in gratitude, and still do, for allowing me to do God’s work with love.
May we continue to pray for and support one another during this hard time for us all.
Mission Outreach Spotlight – Catholic Life Published 2016
Donations for Sister Carla’s mission can be sent to:
Daughters of the Pieta
Mission Office – Diocese of La Crosse
PO Box 4004
La Crosse, WI 54602-4004
The Propagation of the Faith – a Pontifical Mission Society
The Mission Office assists the faithful of the Diocese of La Crosse in carrying out Jesus’ directive to his apostles before his ascension into heaven … to go and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. The Faith must be kept and guarded in our souls, but it must also be generously passed on to every person in the world. The Church must be missionary if she is to be the faithful spouse of Christ.
Pontifical Mission Societies
The Pontifical Mission Societies consist of the Society for the Propagation of the Faith, the Holy Childhood Association, the Society of St. Peter Apostle and the Missionary Union of Priests and Religious. The Pontifical Mission Societies have, as their primary purpose, the promotion of a universal missionary spirit – a spirit of prayer and sacrifice – among all baptized Catholics.
Fr. Joseph Walijewski Legacy Guild
Is an association of people dedicated to furthering the cause of the Servant of God, Father Joseph Walijewski, and providing continued support for the legacy he left behind. Padre Jose’s spirituality is rooted in seeing Christ crucified in everyone he met; especially the orphans, the abandoned, the marginalized and the poor.
Those devoted to Father Joseph Walijewski are encouraged to join the Guild and regularly say the prayer for his canonization, which is available online and on a special prayer card. Members are asked to pray for Father Walijewski’s canonization, report favors received and assist in the advancement of the cause.
To learn more about the life and works of Father Joe Walijewski and the cause for his Beatification and Canonization, please visit Father Joe’s Guild.
What does the Mission Office do?
- Coordinates the Mission Cooperation Program for visiting missionaries in Diocesan parishes.
- Distributes Mass stipends to retired and missionary priests.
- Supports priests, sisters and lay persons in the Diocesan parish in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, and the Casa Hogar Juan Pablo II Orphanage in Lurin, Peru.
- Coordinates La Crosse Diocesan student Lenten Mite Box collections.
- Promotes the annual fundraising benefit dinner for Casa Hogar Orphanage.
- Coordinates and promotes the annual Monsignor Anthony P. Wagener Mission Awards.
Appeals made through the
- World Mission Sunday – for the propagation of the Gospel in mission territories.
- Christmas and Lenten Appeals – for those in most need in the developing world.
- St. Peter Apostle – education and formation of men and women who have been called to serve the Lord as a priest or member of a religious order in a developing country.
For more information go to: www.onefamilyinmission.org
Mission Coop Program
Mite Box Lent
Casa Hogar Juan Pablo II
World Mission Sunday
Here are a few Catholic Life articles. To read the full article, click on the blue colored title.
- Reflections on a life given to serviceI have now spent six months working at our diocesan orphanage, Casa Hogar, located just south of Lima, Peru. This has been one of the greatest privileges so far in my life. This diocesan mission was founded by Father Joseph Walijewski, a priest for the Diocese of La Crosse. Witnessing the need, seeing homeless and […] Read more »
- The Passion of St. JosephWhen asked to write about St. Joseph, there is an image that has stayed with me this whole year. Have you ever thought about the “Passion” of St. Joseph? We speak about Jesus’ Passion. We even speak about Mary’s suffering (the Seven Sorrows of Mary), but we tend to ignore the passion of St. Joseph. […] Read more »
- Overcoming Conflict with CharitySixteenth-century Peru was not a good time or place to be a multiracial child, but that’s the world St. Martin de Porres (Nov. 3) was born into. The son of a Spanish nobleman and a free Black woman, Martin was rejected by his father because he was too dark-skinned and by Blacks and Indigenous people […] Read more »
- “We have Seen and Heard” – World Mission Sunday 2021The cost of COVID-19 was heavy among priests, brothers and sisters who died in mission countries. The burial of Sister Florence Nalwoga, IHMR, was held June 18, 2021 in Uganda. For World Mission Sunday 2021, Pope Francis addresses our current historic moment, “The pandemic has brought to the fore and amplified the pain, the solitude, […] Read more »
- World Mission Sunday, October 24, 2021The Society for the Propagation of the Faith My dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ, May the Lord give you peace. All Catholic churches around the world will be celebrating World Mission Sunday on Oct. 24. What a remarkable event that could be with the conscious commitment we bring to the proclamation of the Gospel […] Read more »
“There will always be poor people in the land – Therefore, I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy …”
Rev. Woody Pace, Director
Marga Apel, Administrative Assistant