The Propagation of the Faith – a Pontifical Mission Society
The Mission Office assists the faithful of the Diocese of La Crosse in carrying out Jesus’ directive to his apostles before his ascension into heaven … to go and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. The Faith must be kept and guarded in our souls, but it must also be generously passed on to every person in the world. The Church must be missionary if she is to be the faithful spouse of Christ.
Pontifical Mission Societies
The Pontifical Mission Societies consist of the Society for the Propagation of the Faith, the Holy Childhood Association, the Society of St. Peter Apostle and the Missionary Union of Priests and Religious. The Pontifical Mission Societies have, as their primary purpose, the promotion of a universal missionary spirit – a spirit of prayer and sacrifice – among all baptized Catholics.
What does the Mission Office do?
- Coordinates the Mission Cooperation Program for visiting missionaries
in Diocesan parishes.
- Distributes Mass stipends to retired and missionary priests.
- Supports priests, sisters and lay persons in the Diocesan parish in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, and the Casa Hogar Juan Pablo II Orphanage in Lurin, Peru.
- Coordinates La Crosse Diocesan student Lenten Mite Box collections.
- Promotes the annual fundraising benefit dinner for Casa Hogar Orphanage.
- Coordinates and promotes the annual Monsignor Anthony P. Wagener Mission Awards.
Appeals made through the National Office
- World Mission Sunday – for the propagation of the Gospel in mission territories.
- Christmas and Lenten Appeals – for those in most need in the developing world.
- St. Peter Apostle – education and formation of men and women who have been called to serve the Lord as a priest or member of a religious order in a developing country.
For more information go to: www.onefamilyinmission.org
Catholic Life Articles
A Strong History of Missionary Work
Jesus said to the apostles, “What I have said to you in whispers, you are to proclaim from the housetops.” This is good news for the Mission Office and the people of God in the Diocese of La Crosse. Your commitment to the efforts of the Catholic Church announcing the name of Jesus Christ in […]
Our Mission of Mercy
My dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ, World Mission Sunday, Oct. 22, 2017, is a reminder for all of us during our diocesan sesquicentennial of the missionary heart of the Church and our response to her call. The Father’s plan for our salvation and the Gospel of Jesus Christ have been proclaimed in the Diocese […]
On a Mission
St. Henry Parish in Eau Galle Gary and Rosey Asher have done 18 missions to disaster areas in 11 years, and they’re not slowing down God has called each of them by name to live his own communion of love and holiness and to be one in the great family of God’s children. He has […]
“There will always be poor people in the land – Therefore, I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy …”