The Propagation of the Faith – a Pontifical Mission Society
The Mission Office assists the faithful of the Diocese of La Crosse in carrying out Jesus’ directive to his apostles before his ascension into heaven … to go and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. The Faith must be kept and guarded in our souls, but it must also be generously passed on to every person in the world. The Church must be missionary if she is to be the faithful spouse of Christ.
Pontifical Mission Societies
The Pontifical Mission Societies consist of the Society for the Propagation of the Faith, the Holy Childhood Association, the Society of St. Peter Apostle and the Missionary Union of Priests and Religious. The Pontifical Mission Societies have, as their primary purpose, the promotion of a universal missionary spirit – a spirit of prayer and sacrifice – among all baptized Catholics.
What does the Mission Office do?
- Coordinates the Mission Cooperation Program for visiting missionaries
in Diocesan parishes.
- Distributes Mass stipends to retired and missionary priests.
- Supports priests, sisters and lay persons in the Diocesan parish in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, and the Casa Hogar Juan Pablo II Orphanage in Lurin, Peru.
- Coordinates La Crosse Diocesan student Lenten Mite Box collections.
- Promotes the annual fundraising benefit dinner for Casa Hogar Orphanage.
- Coordinates and promotes the annual Monsignor Anthony P. Wagener Mission Awards.
Appeals made through the National Office
- World Mission Sunday – for the propagation of the Gospel in mission territories.
- Christmas and Lenten Appeals – for those in most need in the developing world.
- St. Peter Apostle – education and formation of men and women who have been called to serve the Lord as a priest or member of a religious order in a developing country.
For more information go to: www.onefamilyinmission.org
Catholic Life Articles
Highlights from the 2018 March for Life:
In January, 193 pilgrims representing the Diocese of La Crosse attended the 44th Annual March for Life in Washington D.C. There were many things to remember this year, one being the first time a sitting president of the United States addressed the group. Chris Rogers, director of Youth and Young Adult Ministry, led the pilgrimage and […]
From Ukraine, with love
I look on, with Valentyna and Father Pablo, as Dr. Valderrabano (“Santi”) makes a post-operative visit to his patients.We are in the main hospital in Kiev, the capital of Ukraine. Chris reflects on his experience during the Chalice of Mercy Medical Mission in Kiev, Ukraine. It is late September and I am taking […]
A fruitful Mission
How the youth of St. Bronislava Parish in Plover continue serving long after returning from Peru When I went to Peru for the first time, I had the idea that I would be helping and changing the lives of the Peruvians. In reality, the people of Peru were the ones who changed me.” Mariah Studinski’s […]
Disciples of Christ on campus
Steven Drapalik empowers UW-Stout students to become evangelizers Steven Drapalik, director of the Campus Ministry at StoutCatholic, grew up in a Catholic family in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. He served at the altar and regularly attended CCD classes at his local parish church. He started having questions about his faith while dating a young […]
A Strong History of Missionary Work
Jesus said to the apostles, “What I have said to you in whispers, you are to proclaim from the housetops.” This is good news for the Mission Office and the people of God in the Diocese of La Crosse. Your commitment to the efforts of the Catholic Church announcing the name of Jesus Christ in […]
“There will always be poor people in the land – Therefore, I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy …”